Support groups provide a way to learn more about osteoporosis and how to live with the disease directly from those in similar situations. They provide an open opportunity to share information, feelings and goals to help you continue living an active and independent life – even with osteoporosis.
I learned from my osteoporosis support group that knowledge gives you the power to fight this disease.
BHOF Englewood Community Hospital Support Group, Englewood, FL
BHOF sponsors osteoporosis support groups throughout the country. The many benefits of joining include:
- Learning more about the disease and treatment choices
- Receiving the most up-to-date information about osteoporosis
- Improving coping skills by learning how others handle the disease
- Exchanging information about community resources
- Helping identify healthcare providers who treat osteoporosis
- Improving mental and physical well-being
- Finding hope and encouragement
When a support group formed in my home town, I joined. A whole world opened up for me, and I learned how to help myself. I learned about exercise, medication, nutrition and much more.
BHOF Citrus County Osteoporosis Support Group, Hernando, FL
Finding a Support Group
Visit our online support group directory for a listing of the current BHOF Support Groups organized by state.
Starting a Support Group
If a support group isn’t already formed in your area, consider starting one. We rely on volunteers to serve as support group leaders and will provide resources to help you get started. Both healthcare professionals and people with osteoporosis make excellent support group leaders.
If you’re interested in starting your own support group, please review and complete the BHOF Support Group Application. If you have questions about starting a support group and would like to talk with a fellow support group leader, Bone Health and Osteoporosis Foundation Support Group coordinator, Lindsey West, is available as a resource. Please contact Lindsey by phone at 703-647-3034 or via email at email@example.com with any questions you might have.
In addition to sharing personal advice and experiences with one another, support group meetings offer members an opportunity to receive educational information. You can invite guest speakers to present or incorporate exercise into your meetings. Support groups may meet monthly, quarterly or less often.
BHOF provides all support groups leaders with excellent resources including:
Download Acrobat Reader
- Support group manual — A comprehensive guide to help you start, promote and conduct successful support group meetings.
- Free educational materials — BHOF will provide brochures, information sheets, quarterly newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, posters and more.
- Networking opportunities — BHOF will connect you with other support group leaders to help you network and exchange ideas.
- Topics and program ideas — BHOF maintains a list of topics and program ideas.
- Referrals — BHOF will direct all inquiries to join a support group in your area to you, helping you grow your membership.
Join our community to learn more about osteoporosis, or connect with others near you who are suffering from the disease.
Sign Up Now...
Join us in the fight against osteoporosis. Donate today!
Membership in BHOF will help build your practice, keep your team informed, provide CME credits, and allow you access to key osteoporosis experts.
Become a Member...